Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Marcus Aurelius aka Mac

So a couple weeks after we have moved in and began putting the kitchen in order Ben advises me of a better arrangement for our food and dishes. One morning I go to the cupboard in our dining room and proceed to move the food out and the dishes in. Much to my surprise and dismay I notice that on the second highest shelf a package of instant oatmeal has a hole in the middle of it and oats sprinkled onto the shelf. I'm sure you've guessed. Yes, our almost ninety year old house must have at least one mouse. GROSS!

Of course like the scared housewife that I am I immediately text my husband and advise him of said problem. He comes home and says that yes, we are going to get a cat. A CAT?! My first thought is defnitely not.

Ok, ok, okay. I'll be the first to admit that I was the first to suggest that now that we had our own home we could start the pet process. But I was thinking puppy and 2012 sounded nice together. While I understood the necessity of a cat (because I really can't stand the thought of finding a dead mouse in a trap) I also thought of my newly complicated life of a toddler and a newborn. And now I had to take care of a cat? So I proposed a plan. We could go to the animal shelter and if we found a cat that we loved and knew would be the best fit for our family then we could get it.

Guess what? We found one. After wandering passed a gazillion barking dogs we got to the cat area and there were at least 40 cats who needed a home. I saw a few that I liked and settled on one that I really loved because she looked nice and was beautiful. We took her out to meet each other and she scratched Ben in the face. We put her back.

Then John started to play with a skinny orange tabby cat and somehow our whole family fell in love. We took him out and he purred and we knew that this was our cat. Good job John.

John loves Mac. He chases him around and tries to feed him. Mac definitely needs some help in learning house rules like not sleeping in certain places or jumping on the table and breaking things. Sometimes all I can think is "oh that dumb cat" but he really is sweet and seems to be able to tell the difference between the adults and the kids. He leaves Miriam alone and plays well with John. He likes to play bite too, which truthfully I hate but all the guys sure get a kick out of it. He has his cute cat moments though, so he's a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment