Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Miriam Losana Roe

Two months later and I finally have a breath to talk about our newest family member. Things have been so busy with the move to our new home, getting settled, the baby blessing, birthdays, graduations, etc. And so, NOW I can share.

For starters, we had no idea what to expect since our first child came in at 10lb 1oz and 21 inches long. When you have your first child and no one in your family has ever had a ten pound baby you don't expect to go in there and pop one out and so you're not thinking about it. What I was thinking was, "Women everywhere do this, the dr. is expecting about an 8 pound baby and that's normal, so let's go." It's an entirely different feeling when you think that you know what to expect and now your nervous because you know that there is a very real possibility that you could be going for another good sized child.

Miriam was 7 lbs 3 oz and 19.5 in long and was born in the evening. I can't believe that we went from ten to seven. For the first few weeks (and really who am I kidding, even now) we didn't know what to do with such a tiny baby (when we took her home she had lost the normal weight that they do in the hospital and was under 7 pounds). We had to go out and buy more newborn diapers because we weren't expecting to get a child who would actually use them.

 


Things that were nice about this hospital experience:

-I knew what to expect. I had already done this once and I knew how I wanted things to go, when to call people to come and visit, when I wanted the epidural, I knew how the whole birthing process worked, etc.
-I knew what to bring. I didn't pack for a two week bunker down, I packed for a couple of day stay at the hospital. I knew what I liked and lacked from the last time.
- I got to watch Miriam be bathed. I totally missed out on John's first bath, but this time I asked and made sure that we got pics, etc.

-Miriam and I both knew how breastfeeding worked. It was crazy amazing. I think that John would have gotten it faster if I had known what I was doing. From the moment she was born she knew what to do and so did I. Yay for passing that stress ball right over.
Miriam was born with a lot of hair and at first I thought it was just as much as John's but I have since realized that she has more.
John loves his new sister. He always wants to hold her and sit next to her, hug her and kiss her. I think he didn't really get that she was around for good at first, but now he is finally getting that she is not going anywhere.


Miriam coming home









She spent the first few weeks waking up in the night sometimes, but for the most part our little girl has been a fantastic sleeper and has been sleeping through the night.





John is giving his new sis a little too much love and attention.








I will say that it has been an adjustment with both kids. John is at an age where he is able to get into everything and he usually chooses the time when I am busy changing, nursing, or doing something with Miriam to get into mischief. Typical.




We really love her. I didn't realize how much you could love one child and now I can't believe that my cirlce has expanded and I am able to give so much love to two children. It amazed me constantly. I am just as excited to see her do things as I was with John. I wish I was a little more camera happy though. Sometimes there just isn't time to grab the camera (again, the mischief maker). Hopefully that will get better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment